Pediatrician - Wall
3350 Highway 138 Building 2 Suite 126
Wall, NJ 07719

View the KidsDoc Symptom Checker from

Posts for: December, 2012

December 20, 2012
Category: Uncategorized
Tags: Untagged

From New Jersey Poison Information and Education System:

Hustle and Bustle of the Holiday Season Leaves Room for Mishaps

Dr. Bruce Ruck, Director, Drug Information and Professional Education

New Jersey Poison Information and Education System (NJPIES)

(Newark, NJ) – December 20, 2012—An exciting time of year is upon us with holiday traditions of celebrating with friends and family.  It’s an extremely busy time for all and that’s why everyone should pay special attention to the safety and well-being of themselves as well as their loved ones.  It’s easy to forget that potential tragedy can occur during this joyous time of year so always supervise children and pets. To ensure a safe holiday season, the NJ Poison Experts offer these safety tips.

Alcohol- If accidentally swallowed by children and/or pets, leftover cocktails can be fatal!  Always empty beverage glasses and place them out of reach of curious children and pets.

Medicines- Be sure to keep a safe, locked place for relatives and holiday visitors to store any medications they may be carrying with them.  Never leave any medications in purses, nightstands, or in the bathroom where they are accessible to children.

Toy Safety- Be cautious of antique or foreign-made toys!  They may contain lead and be hazardous to children.  For Toy Safety call the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission at 1-800-638-2772.

Candles- Place candles in secure areas where they cannot fall or be knocked over by children and pets.  Use non-flammable holders and remember that small amounts of melted wax can become a choking hazard to small children.  

Button Batteries and Magnets-These items are easy to swallow and can cause serious harm to children and pets.  If ingested, button batteries can get stuck in the throat or stomach causing serious burns.  If two or more magnets are ingested, they can attract one another internally, resulting in serious damage to the stomach or intestines. 

Holiday Plants- Many plants can be potentially harmful if eaten or handled improperly so decorate for the holiday season using non-poisonous plants if possible.  Holiday plants which can produce some toxic effects, mainly gastrointestinal, include Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe, Boxwood and a variety of species of the Yew.  Contrary to popular belief, Poinsettias are not considered toxic when consumed in small amounts. Call the NJ Poison Experts at 1-800-222-1222 to find out what other plants are considered to be toxic. 

Fire Salts- Attractive when added to fires for the colorful flames they produce.  These salts can produce serious stomach problems if ingested.  They need to be kept out of reach from children.

Tree Ornaments- Ornaments resembling foods are as attractive as the real thing.  A child or a dog may think a fake apple or cookie looks appetizing and attempt to eat it.  If eaten, they can cause problems, so avoid using them for decoration.

Lamp Oils- Lamp oils pose serious danger. Children are often confused by these oils because they look just like a beverage.  If ingested, the oils can get into the lungs and cause pneumonia and even death.  Many of the lamps containing these oils are not child-resistant and must be kept away from children and pets.  When not in use, store the lamps and extra oils, the same way you would store any chemical - Lock them up and keep them out of the reach of children.

Wrapping Paper- DO NOT burn in the fireplace.  They may contain toxic metals like lead, may burn at such a high temperature that they may prove dangerous to the fireplace, or flake and send sparks out into the room causing a potential fire.

Pets- Make sure to keep chocolate, alcohol and illicit drugs out of reach of your pets. Ingestion of any of these can cause serious harm and even death.  Be sure to keep all wires tucked away. 

Cigars and Cigarettes- Empty all ashtrays after your holiday gathering.  Children and pets have been known to eat cigars and cigarette “butts”.  There is enough nicotine in these tobacco products to be considered poisonous to children and pets.

Food- All foods should be prepared and cooked properly to avoid food poisoning. Food poisoning usually occurs two to six hours after eating the contaminated food and can include nausea, fever, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea.  Depending on the exact type of food poisoning, how your body reacts to the toxin and the amount of contaminated food that was eaten, symptoms may last from several hours to two or three days. Food poisoning can be serious for people in poor health, as well as the very young and the elderly.  For tips on food safety, please click on the link ( to read our November press release.       

Fireplace- Have chimneys and flues inspected by a professional before each heating season.  Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that poses a serious health concern.  Carbon monoxide poisoning is often referred to as the “Silent Killer.”   

Doing online research and learning about medical conditions is a new sign of the times and a must-do for a savvy patient. But savvy patients need to know when it’s important to put down the smartphone and dial an emergency number to get help.  Remember, Help is Just a Phone Call Away!

If you believe your child or anyone else has ingested something that could be harmful, call the NJ Poison Experts at 800-222-1222. If someone is unconscious, not breathing, seizing/convulsing, bleeding profusely, difficult to arouse/wake up, etc. call 911 immediately, otherwise call the poison center at (800-222-1222).  They are always here to help with accidents or questions involving medicines, chemicals or household products, etc.  Help is available in over 150 languages; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year.  Program the Poison Help line (800-222-1222) into your cell phone and post it near your home and office phones too.  There are no silly questions and our trained medical staff are always available to answer a question, quell a fear, provide advice, or intervene to get emergency services on site and prepped to provide the needed protocol in the fastest response time. When in doubt, check it out - Prevention is truly the best possible medicine.




December 10, 2012
Category: Uncategorized
Tags: Untagged

To keep energy costs down, families may be tempted to turn down the furnace and use a space heater to keep warm this winter. If you plan to use portable heaters, be careful when switching them on around children.

Although space heaters are safer now than in previous years, even modern models pose some risks. Every winter, newspapers carry stories of home fires and deaths caused by space heaters. Portable or fixed space heaters are involved in about 1,000 home heating fires and 100 home heating deaths annually, according to data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Children are at risk because they can accidentally bump into or knock over a heater when playing around it.

To protect children from injury, the American Academy of Pediatrics and fire safety experts offer the follow advice:

  • Be sure the heater is indicated for use indoors. Electric heaters are the only unvented option for indoor use. Permanent vented gas or vented wood stoves, when installed properly, enable air pollutants to escape to the outdoors. Unvented combustion units should be used only outdoors in a well-ventilated area. Most states also have banned unvented kerosene heaters for indoor use, and at least five states have banned unvented natural gas heaters for indoor use because they can release toxic gas into the room.
  • Plug the space heater directly into a wall outlet and avoid using an extension cord. The heater should be placed at least 3 feet from flammable objects, away from foot traffic and on a non-flammable flooring surface. Never use space heaters in the bathroom. Keep heaters and their cords out of reach of toddlers.
  • Turn off the heater when not in use, and do not use while sleeping. Choose a heater with a switch that automatically shuts the unit off when it reaches a certain temperature or if it tips over.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and choose a model that has a testing laboratory label. Nationally recognized testing laboratories (e.g., Underwriter’s Laboratory or “UL”) verify that products meet government safety standards.

© 2012 American Academy of Pediatrics. This Parent Plus may be freely copied and distributed with proper attribution.

Article Written by: Trisha Korioth, Staff Writer



Please contact us with any questions or concerns!

Choosing a pediatrician is an important and personal decision and we want you to feel at ease with the care you and your child will receive.

An online resource center providing you with additional helpful information.




Questions or Comments?
We encourage you to contact us whenever you have an interest about our services.

Call 732-280-6455

3350 Highway 138 Building 2 Suite 126,
Wall, NJ 07719