Pediatrician - Wall
3350 Highway 138 Building 2 Suite 126
Wall, NJ 07719
732-280-6455

View the KidsDoc Symptom Checker from HealthyChildren.org

Posts for: March, 2015

By contactus@steppingstonepediatrics.com
March 18, 2015
Category: Uncategorized
Tags: Untagged

Each year, approximately 2.4 million people – more than half under age 6 – swallow or have contact with a poisonous substance. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has some important tips to prevent and to treat exposures to poison. Please feel free to excerpt these tips or use them in their entirety for any print or broadcast story, with acknowledgement of source.

To poison proof your home:

Most poisonings occur when parents or caregivers are home but not paying attention. The most dangerous potential poisons are medicines, cleaning products, liquid nicotine, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, pesticides, furniture polish, gasoline, kerosene and lamp oil. Be especially vigilant when there is a change in routine. Holidays, visits to and from grandparents’ homes, and other special events may bring greater risk of poisoning if the usual safeguards are defeated or not in place.
 

  • Store medicine,  cleaning and laundry products (including detergent packets), paints/varnishes and pesticides in their original packaging in locked cabinets or containers, out of sight and reach of children.
  • Safety latches that automatically lock when you close a cabinet door can help keep children away from dangerous products, but there is always a chance the device will malfunction. The safest place to store poisonous products is somewhere a child can’t reach.  
  • Purchase and keep all medicines in containers with safety caps and keep out of reach of children. Discard unused medication. Note that safety caps are designed to be child resistant but are not fully child proof.
  • Never refer to medicine as “candy” or another appealing name.
  • Check the label each time you give a child medicine to ensure proper dosage. For liquid medicines, use the dosing device that came with the medicine.
  • If you use an e-cigarette, keep the liquid nicotine refills locked up out of children’s reach and only buy refills that use child resistant packaging. Ingestion or skin exposure with just a small amount of the liquid can be fatal to a child.
  • Never place poisonous products in food or drink containers.
  • Keep coal, wood or kerosene stoves in safe working order.
  • Maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Secure remote controls, key fobs, greeting cards, and musical children’s books. These and other devices may contain small button-cell batteries that can cause injury if ingested.
  • Treatment 

    If your child is unconscious, not breathing, or having convulsions or seizures due to poison contact or ingestion, call 911 or your local emergency number immediately. If your child has come in contact with poison and has mild or no symptoms, call Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222.  

    Different types and methods of poisoning require different, immediate treatment:
     
  • Swallowed poison – Take the item away from the child, and have the child spit out any remaining substance. Do not make your child vomit. Do not use syrup of ipecac.
  • Swallowed battery – If your child has swallowed a button-cell battery, seek treatment in a hospital emergency department immediately.
  • Skin poison -- Remove the child’s clothes and rinse the skin with lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes.
  • Eye poison -- Flush the child’s eye by holding the eyelid open and pouring a steady stream of room temperature water into the inner corner for 15 minutes.
  • Poisonous fumes – Take the child outside or into fresh air immediately. If the child has stopped breathing, start cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and do not stop until the child breathes on his or her own, or until someone can take over.

   

©American Academy of Pediatrics, 2/15 Source: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/news-features-and-safety-tips/Pages/Poison-Prevention-and-Treatment-Tips-.aspx


By contactus@steppingstonepediatrics.com
March 03, 2015
Category: Uncategorized
Tags: Untagged

(Newark, NJ) – March 2, 2015 — Each day, 55 children are exposed to potentially poisonous substances and a loved one calls the experts at the NJ Poison Center for help. Last year almost 20,000 children under the age of five (5) required assistance from the NJ Poison Experts because they were exposed to potentially dangerous items such as household chemicals, medicines and vitamins, cigars/cigarettes, liquid nicotine in e-cigarette devices and hookah pipes, coins, magnets, and batteries.

While most of the cases were managed at home without a visit to the hospital, many did require admission to an intensive care unit and some required surgery. Some people think only medicines and chemicals cause life threatening poisoning situations, however, foreign bodies such as coins, magnets, and batteries should never be overlooked because they can cause serious injury and even death.

“We have all been guilty of carelessly leaving potentially harmful items around the house, while they should have been kept in lockable medicine/storage cabinets,” said Steven Marcus, MD, executive and medical director of the NJ Poison Center. “Overlooking such items, unfortunately, can be very costly to the health and well-being of a family member.” Unintentional poisoning injury and death are preventable. Locking up such items will help prevent an exposure of a young child or pet, as well as, prevent the misuse of medicines.

“I would like to call your attention to the annual observance of National Poison Prevention Week (NPPW), this year from March 15-21st.

As we approach spring, I ask all New Jerseyans to mark the occasion by “poison proofing” their homes when they spring clean. Go through the house room by room, including sheds and garages, and make sure potentially dangerous items are properly stored.”

Don’t forget about the unwanted, unused medications that may have accumulated in medicine cabinets, closets, and pantries. Take these items to your town’s medication drop-off locations where they will be discarded safely. Remind any seniors you may know to do the same. If you would like help in finding a drop-off location near you, contact the poison center at 800-222-1222. When the unthinkable happens, do you know who/where to call? Fast, Free, Expert Medical Advice – Delivered Confidentially – Multilingual Capability. “We are here to help you!” said Dr. Marcus. The center is the state’s primary defense against injury and death from poisoning. No matter the reason to call, all people from youngest to oldest are at risk for injury and death from poisonings, even pets. “There are no stupid questions. The only stupid questions are the ones not asked! It is a good idea to program our number (1-800-222-1222) into your cell phone. Ask your friends and family to do the same.”




Please contact us with any questions or concerns!

Choosing a pediatrician is an important and personal decision and we want you to feel at ease with the care you and your child will receive.

An online resource center providing you with additional helpful information.

Archive:

Tags

Categories:

Questions or Comments?
We encourage you to contact us whenever you have an interest about our services.

Call 732-280-6455

3350 Highway 138 Building 2 Suite 126,
Wall, NJ 07719