Pediatrician - Wall
3350 Highway 138 Building 2 Suite 126
Wall, NJ 07719
732-280-6455

View the KidsDoc Symptom Checker from HealthyChildren.org

By contactus@steppingstonepediatrics.com
January 24, 2013
Category: Uncategorized
Tags: Untagged

From New Jersey Poison Information and Education: Information on Hypothermia & Carbon Monoxide 

Written By: Steven Marcus, MD, Executive and Medical Director, Bruce Ruck, Pharm.D., Director, Drug Information and Professional Education

(Newark, N.J.) — January 2013 — Frigid temperatures are predicted to continue for several days.  With such temperatures the risk for hypothermia and carbon monoxide poisoning increases.

Hypothermia, a body temperature of less than or equal to 95oF, kills many Americans every year. Infants, children, and the elderly are at greatest risk for hypothermia.  Signs and symptoms of hypothermia may include:numbness

·         fatigue

·         poor coordination

·         slurred speech

·         impaired mental state

·         blueness or puffiness of the skin

·         difficulty concentrating

·         death

NJPIES recommends:

Stay warm and dress appropriately! For prolonged exposure to cold, wear insulated or layered clothing that does not retain moisture.  Wear a head cover!

·         Avoid over-exertion and excessive sweating in the cold.

·         Warm beverages can help increase the body temperature.

·         Avoid drinking alcohol, especially in cold temperatures.

·         Some medications may increase your risk.  Check with your doctor, pharmacist or call the Poison Control Center

 

Carbon monoxide is a clear and odorless poisonous gas.  Unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning is common during severe weather conditions.  Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

·         headaches

·         sleepiness

·         fatigue

·         confusion and irritability

·         nausea

·         vomiting

·         irregular heartbeat

·         impaired vision and coordination

·         death

NJPIES recommends:

  • Never use gasoline powered equipment/generators or tools and/or kerosene heaters inside the house or in enclosed spaces.

  • DO NOT leave the car running inside the garage with the garage door closed. 

  • DO NOT use charcoal or propane grills inside the home.  Do NOT heat the house/apartment with the stove!

  • Clear any snow accumulation from all outside dryer and heating vents. Install Carbon Monoxide detectors in homes and check them periodically to make sure they are working properly.

If you believe you or someone you know is suffering from hypothermia or carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately.  If you have any questions about carbon monoxide poisoning or how medications may be affected by the frigid temperatures, call the NJ Poison Experts at 1-800-222-1222

Comments:






Please contact us with any questions or concerns!

Choosing a pediatrician is an important and personal decision and we want you to feel at ease with the care you and your child will receive.

An online resource center providing you with additional helpful information.

Archive:

Tags

Categories:

Questions or Comments?
We encourage you to contact us whenever you have an interest about our services.

Call 732-280-6455

3350 Highway 138 Building 2 Suite 126,
Wall, NJ 07719